Who Had The Hottest Hair and Makeup at the Golden Globes? Get The Looks!

Sofia Vergara (L to R) Steven Granitz - Jason Merritt/Getty
Hollywood’s A-list celebrities turned out for the 71st Annual Golden Globes Awards Sunday, Jan. 12. The theme for the award’s show beauty was, as predicted, understated glamour. From Sofia Vergara’s simple and classic makeup to Gwyneth Paltrow’s soft and romantic up-do and Amber Heard’s structured and dramatic updo to Taylor Schilling’s “Old Hollywood” glam makeup, The Makeup Examiner gathered her favorite looks from the evening and got the exclusive how-tos. Top Celebrity Makeup Artist, Monika Blunder and Celebrity Hairstylist Adir Abergel and even Sofia Vergara herself … who opted to do her own makeup … dish on last night’s golden looks from the Golden Globes. Read on and find your favorite look!

Sofia Vergara was absolutely stunning on the Golden Globes red carpet rocking a voluminous Zac Posen black dress and a serious statement necklace. Sofia shared a complete breakdown of the bombshell’s beauty look from a rare, new perspective -- her own! 
For this year's Golden Globes, I really wanted to do something different. I wear makeup every day -- I wouldn't think about leaving the house without it! But of course it's such a big night, and everyone is taking pictures, so I have to look good. With my dress so elegant and my necklace so bold (and heavy!), I wanted to keep my hair and makeup simple and classic. To start off with a good base that would last all night, I started with CoverGirl truBLEND Foundation in M6, which is super lightweight and blendable. On top, a light dusting of powder to set the look and a bit of rosy color for the apples of my cheeks with Clean Glow Blush in Roses. My dress and jewels were the center of attention, so I had to balance my hair and makeup. For me, a really glamorous evening look starts with the eyes. I love the drama of a cat eye. I went with brown liner as opposed to black with Bombshell Liner in Chocolate Kiss to create the look. I then used Bombshell Shine Shadow in Gold Goddess to give my eyes a little sparkle. As always, I LOVE big lashes so I used Bombshell Volume Mascara on my top and bottom lashes to add volume and intensity. For me, lipstick is a must -- I feel naked without it. I wish I could just wear a nude shade, but it's not me, I need color. I went with a bold red with LipPerfection Lip Color in Flame. Oh I also always keep a gloss in my purse for touch-ups!
Gwyneth Paltrow and Amber Heard were lucky recipients of an Adir A-Do! Although very opposite inspirations and styles, both women looked stunning. Adir shared that the inspiration for Gwyneth’s look was “A soft romantic updo inspired by the casual and effortless elegance of a French woman”. While Amber, dressed in Versace, was coiffed with a structured and dramatic updo “inspired by Catherine Deneuve”.

Gwyneth Paltrow (L to R) Christopher Polk/Getty - Courtesy of Adir Abergel
Gwyneth Paltrow Inspiration: A soft romantic updo inspired by the casual and effortless elegance of a French woman.

How To Get Gwyneth’s Look by Adir Abergel

  1. Begin by parting hair in a strong middle part and applying Oribe Maximista at the roots.
  2. Blow dry hair straight with a round brush to create a full beautiful blowout that feels soft.
  3. Once hair is completely dry, take two sections in the very front of the hair and create a slight wave with a curling iron.
  4. Next pull the hair back into a low ponytail and twist it into a deconstructed bun.
  5. Pin and secure in place
  6. Finish with Fekkai Sheer Hold Hair Spray to secure any fly-aways and for added sheen.
Amber Heard - Courtesy of Adir Abergel
Amber Heard Inspiration: A soft and structured dramatic updo inspired by Catherine Deneuve.

How To Get Amber’s Look

  1. Apply Oribe Maximista to create the perfect foundation for a full and sexy updo. This is an important process in building the right structure.
  2. Next rough dry hair until it’s completely dry.
  3. Once the hair is dry, use a 1-inch barrel curling iron to create soft and feminine waves throughout the hair.
  4. Use a fine tooth comb and tease the roots to create the desired fullness.
  5. Once hair has the desired height, pull it back into a bun right below the crown. The key to this look is that has a light airiness to the style and feel undone.
  6. Secure with pins and finish with Fekkai Sheer Hold Hair Spray.
  7. If you need to manipulate the shape, loosely pull a few pieces to make the style bigger or smaller.
Taylor Schilling - Courtesy of Chantecaille
For the 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards, "Orange is the New Black nominee," Taylor Schilling was seen on the red carpet in a subtle shimmery eye and berry lip, wearing exclusively Chantecaille products. To complement Taylor’s custom Thakoon emerald green floor length gown, Monika created a modern and effortless look. Celebrity Makeup Artist, Monika Blunder created the modern look for Taylor.

Taylor Schilling Inspiration: A cross between Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof meets Veronica Lake and Chantecaille products.

How To Get Taylor’s Look from Monika Blunder:
  1. I started by spraying the skin with Pure Rosewater then applied Stress Repair Concentrate around the eyes, for a clean base.
  2. Next I applied a very light base of Future Skin Foundation. I wanted the skin to be a bit luminous and have her natural complexion shine through. 
  3. I used Total Concealer under her eyes to brighten them a bit.
  4. I began the eyes by applying Iridescent Eye Shade in Crystal all over the lid, then proceeded by using Iridescent Eye Shade in Sel through the crease-and sweeping it into the outer corners and under the eye. To deepen the contrast in the crease, I wet my brush and took the color back through to intensify the look. 
  5. For liner I started with Gel Liner in Jet. To thicken the look along the lash line I dabbed the pencil between lashes, along the edge of the lid.
  6. Next I double lined the eye with Le Stylo in Black. 
  7. I then curled the lashes and used three coats of Faux Cils Mascara in Black.
  8. To sculpt the face I applied Compact Soliel in St Barth’s in the hallows of her cheeks and onto her temples and hairline. 
  9. To add a bit of color to the cheeks I applied Cheek Shade in Laughter and finished with Les Petales de Rose to illuminate.
  10. I defined the brows, just slightly, with the Brow Definer in Ash Blonde. 
  11. To achieve the deep berry lip, it’s all about the application. I wanted it to look like it had a natural bitten flush, so I used my pointer finger and pushed Lip Chic in Calla Lily onto the lip without a brush. 

Who had your favorite look?

©2014 Yvonne P. Mazzulo, a.k.a., The Makeup Examiner. 

Share this article
 
Copyright © 2014 Soraya Jürgen Blog • All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger
back to top